Administrative Matters (for Staff)
Who is Eligible
The following categories of staff and University associates will be issued with HKUST Cards:-
- Full-time staff on superannuation terms of service;
- Full-time Academic and Equivalent Administrative (Terms A) staff on contracts of more than one month;
- Other full-time staff on contracts of more than six month; and
- University associates including Court and Council members, Emeritus faculty and Adjunct faculty.
Those who are not issued with the HKUST Cards will be provided with paper-based staff ID cards for identification and for access to University facilities.
Conditions of Use
Eligible staff members should note the following conditions of use of the HKUST Card:
- Staff members are advised to carry their HKUST Card as a proof-of-identity on campus.
- Cardholders should take necessary care of the Card, including steps to ensure the confidentiality of the personal PIN. Click here for a list of things to do after receiving the HKUST Card.
- Staff members should update the information recorded on the HKUST Card whenever there is change in their appointments (e.g. renewing a contract, transferring to another department, etc). This can be done by using the Manage My HKUST Card functions (in the Personal Corner on My Admin Intranet) and selecting the Update Data on Card function.
- The HKUST Card is not transferable. Falsification or misuse of the Card may constitute an offence, which may lead to suspension of privileges and disciplinary action.
- Holders of the HKUST Card are entitled to the stipulated rights and privileges enjoyed by the University community, in accordance with the rules and regulations of the University.
- Staff members must surrender their paper-based staff ID cards when they collect the HKUST Card. Issuance of the HKUST Card will automatically invalidate all other card(s) previously issued by the Human Resources Office to the staff member.
- The first HKUST Card is issued to eligible staff members at no charge. HKUST Cardholder will have the responsibility for reporting and replacing lost, stolen or damaged cards in a timely fashion.
- The HKUST Card is the property of the University. Cardholders must return the HKUST Card to the University when they cease their appointment at the University or when required by the University.
Once a HKUST Card is issued, it is normally expected to last throughout the duration of the staff member's appointment in the University. The card itself bears an internal validity period that is determined by the appointment period of the cardholder. This validity period will be extended upon renewal or extension of appointment period.
To ensure that the revised validity date is updated to your HKUST Card, please go to the Manage My HKUST Card service (in the Personal Corner on the My Admin Intranet) and invoke the Update Data on Card function. This should be done whenever the validity date is revised and the cardholder will be notified of this by an email.
Lost/Damaged Card and Replacement Procedures
To safeguard against misuse, cardholder should report loss of the card as soon as possible and apply for a replacement card to ensure continued proof of his/her identity.
- Card loss should be reported to the Human Resources Office (HRO) either by email (email@example.com) or in person (Room 5333, 5/F, Lift No. 3, Academic Building) at the earliest possible time.
- To expedite reporting of a lost card, particularly when the loss is discovered outside normal office hours, a web-based function is available. To access this function
- select the "Manage your HKUST Card" function, followed by the "Report loss of a card" option and follow the instruction on screen.
(Note that reporting loss on the web will merely suspend the services available. A replacement card will not be generated automatically. The cardholder will have to approach. HRO to apply for a replacement.)
- In case the reported lost card is subsequently recovered, you can re-activate the lost card by
- connect to the My Admin Intranet via the "My Admin Intranet" link on the ITSC Staff Intranet or directly at https://my-ai.hkust.edu.hk/.
- select the "Manage your HKUST Card" function, followed by the "Reactivate a lost card" option and follow the instruction on screen.
(Note that card re-activation is not possible once a replacement card has been issued.)
If the HKUST Card is damaged such that the card functionality is impaired, the cardholder may apply for a replacement of the damaged card. The damaged card should be returned to HRO in exchange for a replacement card. Please refer to the following paragraph for the procedures for application of a replacement card.
Application for Replacement
A replacement fee of HK$150 will be charged for lost cards or those that are damaged as a result of the cardholders' carelessness. No replacement fee is required for malfunctioned cards.
To apply for a replacement HKUST Card, staff member should submit to HRO
- a completed application form (Form HRO/SC-4, you may download it from the HRO web site)
- a replacement fee (HK$150) in the form of a cheque made payable to the "Hong Kong University of Science and Technology"
Staff members must return their HKUST Cards to HRO upon leaving the University service or termination of their appointments. Those who fail to do so will be charged with a penalty equivalent to the replacement fee.
The remaining amount in the HKUST Card e-Purse is refundable. The HKUST Card e-Purse will be disabled after refund since it will not be used further.
Card holders are strongly recommended to use all amounts in the e-Purse before they depart HKUST. In the occasion that a card holder requests for refund, he/she has to fill in an application form and bring it to the Finance Office in person.
Things to do after receiving your HKUST Card
The HKUST Card comes with the following:
- A default personal Card PIN
- A set of data related to the cardholder
To ensure secure usage of the card, the cardholder should take steps to
- Reset the default Card PIN to one of his/her own choice and ensure its confidentiality
- Ensure that the information stored on the card is up-to-date (and to update the data if that is not the case)
A document on "Getting ready to use your HKUST Card" is available to explain how to carry out the above-mentioned actions.